And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith He which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know your works, and where thou dwells, even where Satan’s seat is: and you hold fast my name and have not denied my faith, even in those day wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwells. But I have a few things against you, because thou have there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate. Repent, or else I will come unto you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. He that hath and ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches, to him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows saving he that receives it.
Attribute: “He which has the sharp sword with two edges”
This church allows people into their congregation that is leading people into sin by deception. It should not be allowed!
Pergamos is where there is a throne and altar for satan. He was worshipped here and lived here in Pergamos. There is where God's faithful servant Antipas (2:13) was killed for preaching the Truth of the gospel.
It is interesting to note that in this verse Jesus says He knows this:
- your works
- and where you live
- where satan's seat is
- where satan lives
- who is holding fast His name and has not denied 'My' faith
In the midst of all the evil and all that is wrong in this area there are those who love the Lord with all their hearts, work for Him, and will NOT deny His name nor His faith, but will keep going on being faithful.
This can be applied today. With all the evil that is growing in our communities, state, country, world, we can remain faithful and do the work of the Lord even when it means death to our bodies. Because death to our bodies brings us into eternity with Jesus!
The problem with this church are two-fold
- they have allowed people in that hold to the doctrine of Balaam. Balaam you remember from Numbers chapters 23 and 24 that Balak hired Balaam to curse Israel but God told him he better not do that. But Balaam was so enamored with the money Balak offered him. You can read the rest of the story there in Numbers. It very interesting and God used a donkey which spoke to Balaam. Balaam then told Balak how to be a stumbling block to the children of Israel and that is what is happening here in this church. The leaders have allowed this same teaching in to be a stumbling block to God's people.
- also they have allowed and hold to the doctrine of the nicolaitanes, who led "lives of unrestrained indulgence". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaism)
The Lord hates both of these practices and tells us to STAY AWAY from them.
- Isaiah 49:1-2 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The Lord has called Me from the womb, from the bowel of My mother has He made mention of My name. And He has made My mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of His hand has He hid me, and made Me a polished shaft in His quiver; has He hid Me;
- Ephesians 6:16-17 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
- Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is the discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
- Second Corinthians 6:14-18 says, “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers? for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? and what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believes with an infidel? and what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the Living God; as God hath said, “I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate”, saith the Lord, “and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters”, saith the Lord Almighty.
The sword divides. It divides the wrong from the right. The wrong needs to be cut off and gotten rid of––cast away. As you can see in the scripture of 2 Corinthians 6: 14-18 the Lord does not want us to be unequally yoked with unrighteousness. By allowing this evil teaching in the church causes confusion and unrest and leads people away from the truth. This should not be. The leaders of the church needs to boot that out. We either take up the sword and boot out evil in the Name of Jesus or Jesus will take up the sword and will boot us out.
Jesus told them (and us) in verse 16 of Revelation 2, “ Repent, or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.” This church and us are to repent for this fellowship with sin and and boot them out of our churches if they do not repent. We are the ones to deal with this. Jesus gave us the authority in His Name to do this, also it is our place to do it. He tells us to have NO fellowship with false teachers and with the people who what nothing to do with the Lord and living righteously.
He will come and “fight against them with the sword of His mouth”. But we have the same sword--the Word of God and this fight is for us to do . It won’t be the blessing that it should be. Just like Pharaoh was to be a blessing to Israel when they were to leave Egypt and give Israel the wealth that belongs to them for all the years of service. But Pharaoh, because of his selfishness and wanting slaves to build his wealth and cities would not be obedient. God used him anyway but not to Pharaoh’s or Egypt’s benefit. Pharaoh and his army were killed in the Red Sea and Egypt lost it power and status in the world.
He is telling us the same thing today: we are to repent, turn on back on the evil world and “come out from among them, and be ye separate”. Then we will overcome and will:
Reward: be given to eat of the hidden manna, and will be given a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows saving he that receives it!