Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Fabric Baskets! In time for Mother's Day!

Again I have neglected this blog of mine and need to get a BUNCH of things posted!  I have made a file folder on my desk top with lots of things to put up. So I will start with this basket that can be made for not only Mother's Day, but really, for any occasion, such as Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, 'just because',  etc.  This is NOT my pattern, but I have no idea where the original came from, but I did draw up the pattern for this one.  So here it is.















Well, let's get started!

First of all what you will need:
1 fat quarters of fabric
1/3 yard of another fabric (which will include fabric for binding)
batting, can be scraps
thread
scissors
pattern (can be found on the right side of this page under 'Links to my patterns') you will need to make two copies for a couple of pieces overlap

sewing machine

All seams are sewn with 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Now:

You will need to cut out the following pattern pieces of each fat quarter and batting:

1 handle
4 diamonds
4 triangles
1 square







Now put together the outside fabric with the batting like this:
Sew triangles to the diamonds, keeping the long part of the triangles to the bottom:
To sew the next diamond to the triangle you will need to set it up like this (above) and sew along the edge.
It will look like this

When all are sewed together it will look like this.

Fold the length in half and sew the last triangle to the first diamond.

It will look like a crown.
By the way, this is the way to make crowns, too, if you are needing them for church plays or another play.  You will need to adjust the size for the wearer by making the pieces larger or adding more diamonds and triangles.

Now, you will add the bottom square.  Match up the points of the square to the seams where the triangles are sewn to the diamonds.  Keep the straight of the square to the straight of the triangles.


Sew from point to point turning your work with the needle down at the next point.





Now you should have something like this:



Do the above directions for the lining:

 Now you have two pieces, the outside of the basket and the lining ready to be put together.

Put the lining inside the shell.
Match up the points and valleys (inverted points).

Now for covering the edges:
Cut fabric strips for binding
Fold in half with wrong sides together.
Place along outside edge of the basket, leaving about 2 inches of binding free.  In other words you will starting sewing the binding 2 inches from the top edge of the binding.  This is so after you have sewn all the way around and come back near to the starting point you can put the two edges together.  We will talk about that a little later.  Also start sewing in between the low and point areas of one of the diamond edge. 
Sew to the point.  Stop at the point with the needle down.
With needle in the down  position pivot your work to follow the next edge.
Sew to the inverted ("valley") and put needle down again and pivot to  go "up" the next diamond.
Sew all the binding all the way around the top of the basket back toward the beginning and stop about 3 inches from the beginning point.  From here pin the binding next to the starting point.  Open the binding and pin both edges together with right sides facing each other.
Pin where the two actually meet
Sew together in a straight line.
Trim off excess.
Again, fold in half with wrong sides together and sew in place to the basket.
Now the first step of adding binding is done.
Fold binding over the edge and hand stitch down.
As you do make sure to shape points at the top of each diamond.
Now for the handles:
Measure from one inverted point (valley) to the one on the opposite side, adding inches to make the length you desire.  Cut fabric this length by three inches wide.

Cut batting the same length by 3/4 inches wide.

Place batting in the center of the fabric like this:
Fold one side to the center.
And then the other side, but folding raw edge under.  
Pin in place
Sew with decorative stitch on each side or just with a straight stitch down along the edge.
Place right side of the handle to the inside of the basket just below the edge at the binding seam.  Stitch across.
I am sorry this is blurry.  Fold up and stitch again, back and forth to secure.  
Repeat both these steps on the opposite of the basket.
Finished!!
Your basket is now finished!  Fill with goodies and give to Mom with love!
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial!  Make some for any holiday with any fabric.  
By the way!  I nearly forgot to mention that if you would like to bind your basket like I did in the very first picture with the blue binding.  You will finish this way (I am sorry I do not have pictures, so I hope you can understand the following.):  Layer each piece for the diamonds, triangle, squares together; wrong sides of fabric together with the batting in the middle.  Follow the part of the tutorial that sews the triangles and diamonds together but sew all layers to the outside.  Do the same for the bottom square.  Make binding––you will have to make it very long--cut several pieces and sew them end to end.  Fold in half length-wise, wrong side together.  Sew the sides first starting at the top to the bottom of each angle.   Fold binding over the edge and hand stitch down.  Now do the square bottom and then the top edge.  Again fold the binding over the edge and hand stitch down.

If you have any questions please ask.  Write me to the email address in the "About me" section.  Thank you for reading.  I hope you make this basket and have fun with it.  
I will be putting up another tutorial soon!!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.