Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Loom-A-Long sweater

 I call this sweater "Throw-on Sweater" because it is just what it says--to throw it on.  I didn't make it with button holes or button, just throw it on to keep you warm on chilly days.  The name also relates to the scripture verse:  "Casting all your cares upon Him (the Lord); for He cares for you." 1Peter 5:7 in the King James version.  I also like the New Living Translation that says, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you."  This sweater, hopefully will remind us to do this!  The Lord loves you so very much!!

From the time I posted last week I hope this has given you time to collect  all the things you need to do this LAL (loom-a-long) sweater.  If not this post will be here for a while.  If you missed the last post here it is:
http://michiganloonyloomer.blogspot.com/2011/11/loom-long-sweater-project-throw-on.html
You will need to first go there and follow directions for the very first thing to do for this project.

OK Here we go!

We are going to start with the back of the sweater.  Measure your loom the number of inches as directed in the first post.  This is the number of pegs you will cast on.  Now if you are using Knifty Knitter Looms and using the largest round one but it is still not enough pegs DON'T worry!  Use all the pegs and you can make two panels to make the back the width you need.  You will make two panels, one for each side of this one you are going to do first.

You can use either e-wrap or flat knit.  Flat knit is what I will be using for this project.  It is placing the yarn on top of the peg and knitting off.  E-wrap is wrapping the pegs in a series of small case cursive es.

Terms you should know:
Tail-end of yarn
Work yarn-majority of the yarn that will be used to wrap around the pegs for knitting.  Abbreviation WY or wy
Ribbing-A pattern of knitting and purling to make bottom of sweaters and cuffs.  In this case we will knit 3 and purl 3.  This also help the bottom of projects from curling.

First loop and cast on.  I like to use the crochet cast on method.  It makes the bottom edge tighter and less loopy.  Here is what to do:

For the Loop:
Bring end of yarn around finger.  Make a cross with the yarn.
 Bring working yarn up through the hole for a loop.
Pull loop up through the hole...
and pull tight.
Place loop on first peg.
To cast on:
 Now bring working yarn up between pegs one and two (from the right of the first peg across to the left of that peg).  Bring yarn across the peg (from right to left) on top of the loop that is there.  This sounds redundant, I know, but I want to make sure that this is clear--I hope not as mud!  :-D
 Bring tool up under the loop and hook the yarn and down under the loop.
Pull through and...
 Place new loop on peg two.
Now bring wy around peg two from the right of it and across the top of the loop and go through the steps above until you reach the end of the measured loom.
We will start with ribbing and it is easier to remember what stitches to make when the loom is marked.  Do this by running masking tape the length of your measured loom and mark  with 3 knit and 3 purl all cross.  Start with 3 knits and end with 3 knits; add on if need be.
To purl:
 Bring wy under the loop
 Bring tool through the top of the loop and hook yarn.
 Bring new loop up through the old loop.
 Take old loop off peg.
 Put new loop on peg.

For the next 9 row you will follow this pattern of knitting 3 pegs and purling three pegs all across.  When you get to the last peg DO NOT knit.  Skip this peg and then wrap it for the first loop of next row.  Do NOT knit the last peg of each row, but knit it as the first peg of the next row.  This will give a very neat edge.  This is helpful for stitching panels together, which we will do when all the panels are done.

How to do the knit stitch 

Well this is it for now.  I will post again in a week or two to give you time to  do this.  If you have any questions please write me at my address listed in my profile.  God bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.