Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Loom-a-Long Sweater Project "Throw-on Sweater" V-2

I pray everyone had a very blessed Thanksgiving!!  Our son was up from Ft. Bragg and he and his family were here!  We had a lot of fun and a great visit.

I have had this in mind to do for a long time to do a LAL (loom-a-long) in the form of a sweater.  Years ago when looms were just in the beginning stages, the people that had looms only made hats and scarves.  I thought surely there is something else you can do with these.  And the Lord gave me the idea of a sweater.  As far as I know this was the first.  That was a long time ago.  Now there are not only sweaters, sweater vests, blankets, socks and so many other wonderful things that people are coming up with to make.

The use of looms certainly have come a long way!

Well let's get started!!
I call this sweater "Throw-on Sweater" because it is just what it says--to throw it on.  I didn't make it with button holes or button, just throw it on to keep you warm on chilly days.  The name also relates to the scripture verse:  "Casting all your cares upon Him (the Lord); for He cares for you." 1Peter 5:7 in the King James version.  I also like the New Living Translation that says, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you."  This sweater, hopefully will remind us to do this!  The Lord loves you so very much!!

This sweater is going to be very basic and easy.  It will have drop-off the shoulder seams.  It is a take off of my "Throw-on Sweater" pattern--the 'first sweater from the loom'.  (Sounds like some weird mystery story!!)  It will be a cardigan and will have ribbing around the bottom and the cuff.  This ribbing will keep the sweater from curling.  It will also have ribbing up the center fronts.  I hope you will enjoy making this sweater.

If you have any questions please write me at the address in the "About me".  Make sure you put in the subject line LAL or Sweater pattern or Loom a long or something along these lines so it catches my attention and doesn't get deleted for spam.

Because the yarn relaxes as it comes down off the loom as you are knitting we will be adding 4 inches to all the pieces to ensure proper fit. 


What you need:  Loom of your choice, I am using Lynn Markman's long small gage double-sided loom with 54 pegs on a side.  It really doesn't matter which loom you use.  We will be doing this by measurements.  If the loom you will be using isn't big enough for you you can make panels to make your sweater the size you need.  And we will be discussing that too.

Loom knitting tool

A print out of the "Pre-op for sweaters and shrugs" located on the right side of this page under "Links to my patterns".

Yarn of your choice 6-8 skeins.  This also depends on your size.  I am no small person but there are some 'skinny-minnys' who hardly need any yarn to make a sweater!!  And it also depends on the type of yarn you choose--thick or thin.  So choose something you can get more of or buy at least 8 skeins.

What to do first:
Copy off the Pre-Op and start measuring.  Record all the measurement on this sheet.

First determine the length you desire to have your sweater.  Measure from the nape of your neck down to where you want the bottom of your sweater to be.  

Back:
We will be starting with the back.  Measure the widest part of your back.  You may need someone to help you with this.  Every one is made different.  The widest part may be across the buttocks or from armpit to armpit.  You will be measuring from one side to the other.  Put on a pair of slacks and measure across the back from one side seam to the other.  Or from the side seams of a blouse if your widest part is at the top.  Add 4 inches to this measurement.

Front:
Measure the widest part from one side seam to the middle.  Either from the side seam across the belly to the belly button or across the chest from side seam over the breast to the middle between the breast.  Add on 4 inches to measurement.  We will  make two of these so you only need one measurement.

Sleeves:
Because this is an 'off-the-shoulder sweater wait until the front and back are made and then take measurement.  It will be better this way.  Trust me!!  From one who didn't and ended up with 'sleeves-to-the-knees'!!!!
 Here is a picture of it:
I think I threw it away--unfortunately.  Now that I look at it here it wasn't so bad--even with the sleeves rolled up.  A lot of work went into this one with the pattern I did on it.  Maybe it is just stuffed away some where.....

I will be posting once a week until done, so this will be it for now.  Get your materials gathered together and wait for the next post.  This is Saturday, November 26, 2011 I will make the next post by next Saturday December 3, 2011.  Until then...
God bless!

How to knit:  http://michiganloonyloomer.blogspot.com/2011/12/lal-two-ways-to-knit.html

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmy, I love your Sweater, and of course, the Model, modeling it for us! Your blog is one of my favs to visit for scripture and loomy inspiration. Thank you for sharing your love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.