Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

December Placemat

Well here it is next door to December and to CHRISTmas!  Time to celebrate Jesus leaving His home in Heaven and coming to Earth to be our Savior and to show us the Right Way to live.  What a wonderful time of year!!  This is one of my very favorite Holidays and a most beautiful scenes with the fresh fallen show and the sun glistening off it!

The placemat this month is a stocking and will feature points both in the background as well on the sock.  Kaye Wood always makes me laugh when she talks about "pointless people"!  What she is meaning is how to avoid making points come together by adding a strip of fabric where they should.  Kaye is a very neat and talented lady.  I have learned a lot from her.
But this month we will be point-full people!!
 What you will need for each placemat:

Background fabric--1/4 of a yard of 2 different fabrics
1/2 yard of "sock" fabric
1/4 yard for toe, heel and crown
scraps for circles
1/2 yard for backing fabric
1/2 yard for stabilizer

What you need to do is to print off the pattern sheet located on the right side of this page found under "Links to my patterns".  All the patterns are on one sheet and are color coded.  You will need to draw out each pattern piece and attach the sock pieces together.

Background:  Of the two background fabrics cut 3 squares of each measuring 6 1/2 inches.
Cut the squares twice on the diagonal
In the above picture; once I cut on the diagonal once, I place this triangle on my cutting board where it shows a triangle with, of course, the point up.  The point is right on the cutting line, the sides are matched up with the triangle on the board.  This is perfect for finding the second center of the triangle.  Line up your ruler and cut.

I am using white and cream colors so it may be hard to see in this next picture, but lay out your new square alternating the colors.

Now lay the bottom piece on top of the left piece; right sides together (RST) and the right piece on top of the top piece RST.  With the white on top (I will refer to my colors, so it will be what you have chosen in place of my white) sew down the right sides.  All the seams will be 1/4 inch.  I want to say at this point that a 1/4 inch foot really does come in handy for accuracy.  Press seams to the darker fabric.  Spraying with water and a hot iron will get a nice crisp seam.  This is important for matching points.
Now lay those two piece on top of each other RST.
When you lay these on top of each other each color should be opposite of each other.

When matching start in the center where the two seams are.  The lines, from stitching should line up perfect.  Pin there.  Sew across but do NOT sew on your pins.

Now press to one side.  Do this to all your squares.  You should have 6 squares, 3 for the bottom and 3 for the top. Spray with water to make sure the seam is crisp.
Press both bottom and top.

The back should look like the picture on the left and the top like the picture on the right.


Now lay out your squares they way you would like them.  I alternated the colors.  Shown here:
Sew three squares together for each row.
When laying the two rows together, RST, make sure that the sewing lines match up.  Just like in the picture above when making the squares.  Here it is again below.
 Sewn together, top of mat.  It looks like I added a metallic tape to the top of the seams, but I didn't.
 Bottom of mat
Now cut two 3 inch strip the length of the mat and sew one to the top and one to the bottom.  And trim mat so that it is about 18 1/2 inches long and 17 1/2 tall.



Now cut out your other pieces for the stocking.  And pin them in place.



 Turn the points on the crown and the edges toward the foot on the heel and toe under and pin and stitch down.   You can use a straight stitch or use a decorative stitch.   I used the blanket stitch on these.
Once that is done with matching thread use the satin stitch on to sew down the rest including the circles at the end of the points.

Trim up the mat.  It should measure about 18 1/2 inches long by 17 1/2 inches tall.  Cut stabilizer and backing to match and bind in your favorite method.  Mine is to put decorative threads in my serger and serge around the mat.
Here it is all done!  Enjoy!
I want to wish you and your family a very Merry and Blessed CHRISTmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.