Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Friday, July 1, 2011

How to sew 6 to 8 points together and have a flat center.

Ever sewn a lot of points together for the Le Moyne Star quilt block or even a hat like this one I am making for my granddaughters and had the centers left with a huge, hard lump?  Well there is a remedy for that and it really is easy to take care of once you know how to do it.  This is a step by step lesson to show you how to bring a lot of points together and have the center absolutely flat! 

Once you cut the number of pieces you need take two of them and place them with right sides together.  Insert a pin so it is right down the cent from the point down.  You will need a long pin. 



Now you will sew your quarter inch seam allowance from the bottom of the piece up to the point.  Be sure to follow the quarter inch all the way to the pin.






Stop right where the quarter inch is on the pin. 


Don't sew on the pin--hand turn the wheel until the needle is on top and pull the pin out, put the needle down and reverse stitch for 2 stitches.



I replaced the pin to help you  see where the stitching stops at the point.
Now open the two pieces and take your third piece place it right sides together with the second piece.




 Line up the two pieces.  Insert your pin from the second piece to the third
right at the stopping place at the point.  Make sure the first seams are out of the way.
 Follow the same directions for the first seam, making sure you follow the quarter of an inch all the way up.  You will follow these directions for all 6 or 8 pieces.  When sewing piece 1 and piece 6 (8) together repeat directions for the first seam.  Make sure with each seam you keep all previous seams out of the way.


Here are all seams come together.  Now press them with a hot iron.  All the seams will be pressed in the same direction. 



When you are done with that.  Arrange the center so the points go in a circle and press.










Now you have a pretty little "flower" in the center and your Le Moyne Star or hat will lie flat.   If you happen to have a hole in the middle just go back and sew a couple more stitches in some of the seams to make it tighter.  You should not have the hole.



Some times it is frustrating to try to get this just right.  I hope this has been a help to some of you.  If you have any questions please feel free to write me.  God bless.

2 comments:

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.