Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Drawing a line design for quilting

I am endeavoring to do a small series on drawing quilting lines for hand or machine quilting. Designs can be drawn with any templates. This is the first in the series.
For the first in this series will be simple circle of feathers. I used heart template. Any heart shape will be good but the size depends on the size of the square. Here are two sets. One from Kay Wood and the other from June Tailor. I will be drawing on a 14" square and will be using a heart template from Kay Wood. These come 4 sizes in a package and I used the second largest. Ok here we go!


Gather your supplies which includes your sandwiched quilt, acrylic ruler, heart, chalk marker.






Lay out your quilt place your ruler on the square the drawing will be going on from point to point and mark a line approximately in the middle. The line does not have to go all the way across the square.





Now place your ruler on the opposite points and draw another line toward the center.







The mark will look like this. This marks the center of the square and X marks the spot.....







...to place the bottom point of the template on the X








The line on the template does not necessarily have to line up with the line drawn.







Draw around one half the heart shape from the top middle line to the bottom middle line.








After the first line is drawn, move the template over. Keep the bottom point at the X, move the top line on the template to the back of the line just drawn from the first half heart.





This is what it will look like. Make sure the lines now line up--bottom point in the center, the top line on template on the back of the half heart before. Now do this all the way around.





This is the last mark. The template is placed so the middle of the heart is on the back of the previous drawing and the round part of the template is in front of the first drawing. It is lined up.




This is the full design.

My quilt blocks are all set on point so on the outside (but inside of the border) I have half squares that I also wanted to put on this design. I didn't make a circle with the feather but a fan. Here is what I did...




Find center across the bottom of the triangle block then place ruler from point at the top to center at the bottom. Draw a small vertical line at the bottom.






Just above the horizontal seam line draw four half hearts one after the other as above.







This is how it looks.







Now your quilt is ready for you to hand or machine quilting. If you have any questions feel free to ask and let me know if this has been a help to you! I will be doing more tutorials very soon.

6 comments:

  1. It was very hard to see the red lines could you use a black perhaps. Thanks for all your work. Now do you use a regular foot to sew this on the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, I am not sure what red lines you mean. I could only think of the lines on the heart template which is put there by the manufacturer. If you click on the picture it will become larger and you can see those lines as well as the yellow ones I drew. I hop this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great tutorial. Looking forward to using it.
    JeanneZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I am sorry I forgot to answer you second question. I would use a darning foot and drop the feed dogs and sew free motion following the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial! What marker are you using? I see it is yellow, so do you have any trouble removing the marks after quilting? How do you remove the marking?
    Thanks for taking time to put this together and share it. Look forward to seeing more designs tutorials when you have time. Going to subscribe so I don't miss anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Gloria for your compliments and subscribing to my blog. And your are welcome it is my pleasure. I will be adding more to this series as well as adding other tutorials. The marker I used in this is the chalk marker in the second picture. I also have marker by "Sewline" which is like a mechanical pencil. This makes a thinner and lighter line and easier to erase, but it would not show up in the pictures so I used the other. The chalk is harder to remove and if not careful will be permanent, but using a medium-soft brush will help remove almost all if not all of it and this should be done before washing your project. Thanks again for subscribing and I will be putting up more things very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.