Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Towel Topper Tutorial

I like to use full sized towels for hand towels. The smaller ones are....just too small. But I needed a topper that would allow me to hang them on the hook that we have and not tear the button hole out. So here is what I did: First of all to do this project you will need fabric, fat quarter size will do, scissors, stiffy or Timtex. The pattern is on the right to down load.
Find the center of your towel. As you can see my button hole has become quite sad!







After finding the center I laid it on a paper to draw the shape I wanted:







And then I drew around it for the shape and length. I included the seam allowance of 1/4":









Then I took the shape and folded it in half to make sure both side would be the same and cut around on the line.

















Now cut the pattern out of fabric--cut two. Turn the bottom edge over twice to make a narrow hem.
















Now to cut the Stiffy or Timtex. Stiffy is similar to Timtex and can be bought here: http://www.longcreekmills.com/product/stabilizer3.html (scroll down, on the left hand side.) much cheaper than Timtex. For this towel, because the hole I had put in had become so raveled and larger I used four pieces of Stiffy. two smaller ones to go directly over the holes and then two larger ones for reinforcement. Hopefully you can see here in the first picture below the two smaller pieces are on either side of the towel with the two larger pieces over them. Pin them in place and sew an X over them.

















DON'T SEW OVER YOUR PINS!!


















Now take your two pieces of fabric with right sides together and place both on one side of the towel and pin.









Now sew all three sides. Sew up the left side, across the top (make it flat not round) and down the right side. Do a secure stitch at the beginning and end.

















Trim across the top. Turn the top of the two fabrics over. Poke out the top. At this point I would suggest that you sew across the bottom of the fabric (at the hem, with both sides pinned to the towel) at least 1/2 inch on both sides of the towel.

















Put in a button hole at the top and hang on your hook!!

















Here are some other pictures. I did a round one and it would have been ok except I put Stiffy on the whole circle instead of just leaving it at the button hole spot. If you make a different shape remember that the towel is interfacing enough. It is just the button hole area that you need to make extra stable because of the pulling on the towel through use.









I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If make this topper send me a picture and I will put it up! I would love to see what you have done.

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute and a great way to hang hand towels. I like them a lot more than the ones you buy at the store...the store ones are so flimsy since they oly use about 1/2 the fabric width. I think I will make some for my grandsons bathroom first, then some for my my own. Thank you for making and sharing this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Gloria. Send me a picture and i will post it.

    ReplyDelete

Dates Added

I just added dates to the patterns under "Links to my patterns" so you will know where to find the tutorials that go with them. Please find the tutorials under the year, month and day listed next to the pattern listed. Thanks and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to write me at the address in my profile.

Remember these are my own patterns that I drew the patterns for and wrote the tutorials for. I offer these patterns for free for you to make for yourself, as gifts, or even to sell BUT please do NOT claim my patterns as your own or put them on your website. You may put a link to my site on your website. Please be respectful. You would want the same respect for your patterns. Thank you. God bless.

Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs

This "Pre-Op for Sweaters and Shrugs" is to help you with sizing. There is a place for arm length, body length, wrist size---every thing you need to keep track of to make my sweaters and shrugs. The download button is on the right. You can copy off as many as you need sweaters and shrugs for. If you have any questions about this please let me know and I will try to help.